Certificate of Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Compliance
Certificate of Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide and Portable Fire Extinguisher ComplianceThe Township of Montclair using the Uniform Fire Code of the State of New Jersey adopted an ordinance requiring Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Detectors and Portable Fire Extinguisher installation in all residential and mixed-use (commercial/residential) facilities in a manner and location approved by the Township of Montclair's Fire Prevention Bureau. No applicable structure shall be sold in the township without first meeting the requirements.
Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- • Smoke Detectors should be on every level of a home including the basement, excluding crawl spaces and unfinished attics.
- • Smoke Detectors in the basement should be placed on the ceiling at the bottom of the basement stairs.
- • Smoke Detectors on the first floor should be placed on the ceiling above the first step going up to the second floor.
- • Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors should be no more than 10 feet outside from each bedroom door.
- • For three family dwellings and more Smoke Detectors must be hardwired.
Portable Fire Extinguisher
- • Needed for one and two-family dwellings.
- • Listed, labeled, charged and operable.
- • No Smaller than a 21⁄2-pound or larger than a 10-pound rated extinguisher.
- • Rated for residential use consisting of an ABC type.
- • On hangers, or in brackets supplied by the manufacturer.
- • Within 10 feet of the kitchen area, unless otherwise permitted by an enforcing agency.
- • Located with the top of the extinguisher not more than five feet (1.53 meters) above the floor.
- • Visible and in a readily accessible spot, free from blocking by furniture, storage, equipment and other items (not in cabinets or behind closed doors.)
- • Near a room exit or travel way that provides an escape route to the exterior.
- • Accompanied by an owner's manual or written information regarding the operation, inspection ad maintenance of the extinguisher.
- • Installed so the operating instruction shall be clearly visible.
Certificate of Compliance is valid for current ownership for six (6) months from date of issue.
- • All detectors should be tested at least once a month.
- • Batteries should be replaced every 6 months (change your clock; change your battery).
- • Regularly clean smoke detectors by gently vacuuming them.
- • Replace smoke and carbon monoxide detectors every 10 years.
- • Practice home fire drills.
The Fire Prevention Bureau will come out on what we call a placement and show you where to place your detectors. We will return when they are properly installed and issue a Certificate of Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Detector and Fire Extinguisher Compliance on the spot.Our office requires that you schedule an appointment at least ten (10) Business Days prior to closing. To schedule an appointment with the Fire Prevention Bureau call 973-509-4769 between the hours of 8:30a.m. and 4:30p.m., Monday through Friday. Initial residential inspections are done Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday between the hours of 10:00a.m. and 12:00p.m. Please be prepared to provide us with both office and cellular phone numbers.
|One and Two Family Dwellings||
|Three-Six Family Dwellings||
|Seven to Fifteen Family Dwellings||
|Over Fifteen Family Dwellings||
Fees are payable by cash or a check paid to the order of "Township of Montclair, LEA".