205 Claremont Avenue, 3rd Floor
Montclair, NJ 07042
Anne Shields, Registrar
Please Note: For birth, death, marriage, civil union and domestic partnership ceritificates, only IMMEDIATE relatives may obtain a certified copy. Name on ID must correspond with name on certificate.
If you require RUSH DELIVERY, use only Post Office Overnight Express with return envelope completed. NO OTHER CARRIER.
Certified copies of Birth Certificates:
For births which have occurred at St. Vincent Hospital or community Hospital in Montclair. Births which occurred at Mountainside Hospital are recorded at the Glen Ridge Health Department: 973- 748-8400 Ext. 221 or222.
For questions, please call the Office of Vital Statistics at 973-509-4973.
Certified Copies of Marriage/Civil Union/Domestic Partners and Death Certificates (Montclair Only):
All copies are $10.00 each Proof of ID is State Mandated. ID should be photo driver’s license with current address or two other forms of ID, e.g., utility bill, lease, deed, bank statement, telephone bill, or hospital bill. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to these requirements.
Requirements When Applying for a Marriage License:
- Either applicant must reside in Montclair – both bride and groom to show proof of residence i.e. driver’s license, or Lease showing Montclair address, utility bill, telephone bill, or bank statement. No PO Box numbers. No other ID will be accepted.
- Female applicant and Male applicant are to come in together with only one witness who must know both applicant and be 18 or older.
- Show SS cards and birth certificates. Anyone born abroad should get birth certificates translated and notarized.
- If either party is divorced or widowed, proof must be shown. I.e. FINAL divorce decree or death certificate.
- Make appointment Mon-Fri. between 9:00am and 3:30pm. AT LEAST 10 days before the ceremony to ensure appointment is available (including 72-hour waiting period).
- Must know date of marriage and who is performing the marriage before appointment is made/
- There is a 72-hour waiting period before license will be issued.
- License valid 30 days after being issued.
- Fee $28.00 – cash/check/ money order.
Call 973-509 -4973 for appointment.
APPLYING ON THE INTERNET
Applications are available on the internet at http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/marriage_apply.shtml