Where can I receive legal assistance?


Adult Protective Services Essex County
1-866-903-6287, 441-443 Broad St., Newark 07102
Intervention services provided to older persons in crisis situations in order to protect them from self-neglect, neglect, abuse or exploitation. To report neglect or physical, psychological or financial abuse of a senior.

Disability Rights New Jersey
1-800-922-7233, 210 South Broad Street, Third Floor, Trenton, New Jersey 08608

New Jersey Protection & Advocacy
Program provides protection of the rights or persons with disabilities through legally based advocacy.

Nursing Home Ombudsman
1-877-582-6995, P.O. Box 852, Trenton, NJ 08625-0852
To report any kind of abuse or neglect of a nursing home resident. 

Office of the Public Guardian for the Elderly
1-609-588-6500, P.O. Box 812, Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0812


Community Health Law Project
(973) 680-5599, 650 Bloomfield Ave., Bloomfield 07003
Legal and advocacy services.

Essex County Lawyer Referral Service

Essex County Legal Aid Association
(973)-622-0063, Room 118, Hall of Records, 465 MLK Blvd. Newark 07102
Assistance for people who cannot afford a lawyer.

Essex County Surrogates Office
(973)-621-4908, Room 206, Hall of Records, 465 MLK Blvd. Newark 07102
Estate and guardianship filing.

Essex- Newark Legal Services- Senior Division
Legal advice, assistance, and/or representation provided by or under the supervision of a lawyer, in order to protect and secure the rights of older persons.

New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs
1-800-242-5846, (973)-504-6200