C-DA-B  C-D  E-F  G-I  J-L  M-O  P-R  S-T  U-Z

Cans, food and beverage (aluminum, tin, and bi-metal) • Commingled Recycling

Cans, other (clean) • Scrap Metal

Car Seats • Refuse

For safety reasons, car seats should be disposed of as refuse.

Cars, Used • Donation

Wheels for Wishes newjersey.wheelsforwishes.org

Carbon Monoxide Alarm/Detector • Special Smoke Alarm Disposal

Cardboard, boxboard or corrugated • Mixed Paper Recycling

Cardboard, waxed • Refuse

Carpet, rolled or bundled • Bulky Waste (see note)

1 roll = 1 bulky waste item

Cartons, milk or OJ • Commingled Recycling

Cassette, audio • Refuse

Cassette, video • Refuse

Cat Litter • Refuse

CD Cases (jewel cases) • Electronics

CDs/DVDs • Donate, or Electronics

If playable, donate to the Hillside Swap.

CD/DVD players • Electronics

Ceramics • Sell, Donate, or Refuse

Chairs • Donate, or Bulky Waste

For donations: Freecycle

Chemicals, crystallized (identified) • Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

Chemicals, crystallized (unidentified) • Special Disposal

Contact the Montclair Fire Department at (973) 744-1234 for instructions.

Chemistry Sets • Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

China • Refuse (see note)

If in good condition, bring to a consignment shop or donate.

Christmas Holiday Trees • Yard Waste (seasonal) Christmas trees placed at the curb are picked up on a weekly basis during the entire month of January. All decorations, lights, etc. must be removed. Wreaths collected separately with refuse.

Cleaning Fluids • Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

Clothes Dryer • Household Appliances

Clothing • Donate or Refuse (depending on condition)

If the items are in good condition: Look for a new home for them (donate or sell).

Some options include:

Second Time Around Shop


Used clothing bins


The Vietnam Veterans (VVA) program: www.scheduleapickup.com or call 1-800-775-VETS (8387)


The Hillside Swap



If your items are in poor condition, dispose of them as refuse.

Coat Hangers, plastic • Refuse

Coat Hangers, wire • Special Recycling or Scrap Metal

Clean wire hangers can be brought back to your local dry cleaner or disposed of as scrap metal.

Commode • Bulky Waste

Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs) • Household Hazardous Waste (HHW), or Special Disposal

Spent CFLs are also accepted at any Home Depot, Lowes, or Ikea locations.

Computers • Electronics

Construction/Demolition Debris (C&D) • Bulky Waste (see note) or Special Disposal

For Bulky Waste: One (1) can only, weighing no more than 75 pounds

For larger quantities: see Construction/Demolition Disposal Guide

Cooking Oil (Vegetable Oil) • Special Recycling

Bring used cooking oil to the Essex County Utilities Authority located at 125 Fairview Avenue (next to the old hospital center), Cedar Grove, NJ 07009 (973)-857-2350. 

You may also call to find out when the next collection day is scheduled.

Cork • Special Recycling

Whole Foods Market provides a cork recycling receptacle (in their exit doorway) which collects cork for the Cork Forest and Conservation Alliance (www.corkforest.org), a non-profit organization.

Cork is a 100% natural, renewable, recyclable and biodegradable material that is obtained through an environmentally-friendly harvesting process. Recycling corks conserves cork forests.

Cosmetics • Refuse

Couch • Donate, or Bulky Waste

For donations: Freecycle

Degreasers • Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

Dehumidifiers • Household Appliances (sticker required)

Detergent • Refuse (liquid)/Commingled Recycling (container)

Give to a friend, family, or neighbor


Discard liquid down the sink and recycle the container with commingled recycling

Dirt • Special Disposal

Residents must make their own arrangements for disposal (i.e. hire a landscaper)

Dishes • Donate or Refuse

Dishwasher • Household Appliances

Disinfectants • Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

Driveway Sealer • Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

Dryer • Household Appliances

Back to Top